Monday, December 15, 2014

Mexico City to Lima

I have a five hour layover before my flight to Lima so I figured I can add some stories as I lay on the floor of the airport in Mexico City. Overnights at airports are interesting to me specially as you see the airport go quiet for few hours then come back to life while I just get drunk from lack of sleep.

Anywho, so as soon as I got here there was a lady screaming and crying at the top of her lungs at the terminal and giving new definition to the word wailing. Never heard anything like it. You could hear that shit from across the airport I kid you not. Not really sure if this is standard practice here but finally like after ten minutes police came over and talked her down. It's like dude, I understand you're upset, I'm allllll for emotions brah, sometimes you just wanna cry but screaming like that is pushing it. This ain't the wild aaaand I'm jealous cuz sometimes I just wanna scream like that too. Specially when trying to surf the net on my phone and LTE is down so I'm surfing at 3G speeds. Bloody murder I wanna scream.

Anywho, in other news, I think I briefly mentioned that I picked up a book called Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I bought it kind of on a whim while picking up snacks at San Diego airport. My first reaction was dude this is a chick story, but it's funny how things work out. Just today I was saying I'm a noooob for not buying snacks ahead of time and having to pay airport prices but while buying snacks I grab one of the best books I've read ever. I'm already 50 pages in and it's exactly the book I wanted and needed right now. That shit speaks to me like no book has since I guess Harry Potter and the Goosebumps series. Who remembers those Goosebumps books? They were legit...

In general it's a story about how Cheryl ends up walking 1,100 miles of the Pacific Coast Trail after the death of her mom from cancer and her separation from her husband. To be honest, I've pretty much teared up or cried every time I've picked it up. Although unlike the bloody murder screaming lady I do my shot quietly and discreetly. Lol. I think the anxieties and excitements of travel are putting my emotions on edge but it's also a great story. I feel like it mirrors my travels and motivations for this trip in its own little way. I wish it was longer than 300 pages cuz I'll finish it before end of the week probably.

Anywho, gonna go read more. Can't wait to eat something in Peru tomorrow! Gonna num num the shit out of some ceviche. All I've had today has been a bag of Harribo gummy bears and a turkey sandwich that was half as good but twice as expensive ($11.50) as it should have been. Fuck you LAX, take my money. Also I'm thirsty as shit and everything is closed.

-Z

3 comments:

  1. My friend just got me that book for Xmas! Can't wait to read. Have fun in Lima.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there were a lot of peruvian places where i lived in the city and they have this donut called picarones. if you see if at a store or on the street, eat one (or 6) for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is funny that you mentioned the book. We just saw the movie yesterday with some Jewish friends who go to the movies every year on Xmas day after having Chinese food, apparently as a tradition. It was a great movie, and I bet the book should be better, as is usually the case.

    ReplyDelete